Amy is a 40-year-old single mom who lives in Orlando with two wonderful kids (Kaley 13 and Kyle 9). Amy has been extreme couponing for several years and is permanently hooked. She loves to find amazing deals and really enjoys sharing them with others on her website WhoSaidNothingInLifeIsFree.com.
1. How did you become interested in coupon clipping and when did you start?
I have always been frugal but I started getting serious with coupons about 3 years ago when I discovered free sites and coupon forums all over the Web. I loved it so much I started my own site.
2. What is your most embarrassing coupon moment?
Hmmm. Having cashiers treat you like you are doing something wrong in front of other customers is always a tad embarrassing, but it’s a lack of education on their part to know that yes it is legit, even if I’m getting everything in my cart for free!!!
3. How much time per week do you spend coupon clipping, searching for deals, etc.?
Since finding deals is my primary job, I spend a LOT of time looking for deals. However, if you are a reader, you would only need to spend about 30 minutes a day reading the site and printing or clipping the coupons for the deals I post.
4. How do you organize all your coupons?
I use file folders and put the coupon inserts in the folders by date, and then keep the folders in a filing cabinet. I only clip coupons when I’m ready to go to a store for a sale. You can look up coupons in databases and they’ll tell you in which week a coupon was located.
5. Where do you find most of your coupons?
Most of the coupons I use are either from Sunday inserts or are printable. I do find coupon booklets in stores, along with tear pads, peelies and blinkie coupons from time to time, as well.
6. How has couponing affected your family and friends?
My family is now able to do things they couldn’t do before I started couponing (like play sports and go on vacations). We just didn't have the money to spare when I was paying full price for all my food and necessities.
7. What is the biggest tip you can give to someone interested in becoming a couponer?
Read my site to find all the deals and for tips on how to save money in other areas.
8. What’s the best shopping trip you ever had? How much were you able to get for what price?
I’ve had many trips where I left with a cart full of groceries and several different gift cards and paid under $5. (Gotta love coupons that give overage!)
9. What do you do with things you get but can’t use, or items that are going to expire if not used soon?
I either have my kids donate them when their scouts have collections or I have garage sales.
10. What things do you most frequently get for free by using coupons?
I get toothpaste, deodorant, hair products and snacks most often with coupons.
11. Have you ever reached a point where you feel couponing has consumed your life and become overwhelming?
Yes., I was spending my weekends out deal-shopping, instead of enjoying time with my family. I had to step back and realize that couponing is a part of my life but is not my ENTIRE life. Deals will come and go, but the time in life that my kids are little won't be around for long.
12. Do you think you’ll always continue to live a "coupon lifestyle?"
Absolutely. Why spend money on things you can get for free??? I love using the money I save to go on vacation and create memories that will last a lifetime.